It's UWAweek 48

help2002

This forum is provided to promote discussion amongst students enrolled in CITS2002 Systems Programming.
Please consider offering answers and suggestions to help other students! And if you fix a problem by following a suggestion here, it would be great if other interested students could see a short "Great, fixed it!"  followup message.

Displaying the 4 articles in this topic
Showing 4 of 919 articles.
Currently 5 other people reading this forum.


 UWA week 33 (2nd semester, week 4) ↓
SVG not supported

Login to reply

👍?
helpful
10:51am Tue 16th Aug, ANONYMOUS

Hello, I'm having an issue and I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Whenever I use the "ls /home/[user]" command, it does not list any files. Using ls -l also says there are 0 files within the directory. Should I do anything about this? (I'm running Linux on Windows)


SVG not supported

Login to reply

👍?
helpful
11:37am Tue 16th Aug, Christopher M.

ANONYMOUS wrote:
> Whenever I use the "ls /home/[user]" command, it does not list any files.
Are you confident that that is your home directory? Is that confirmed by the command echo ~ or echo $HOME ? Are there *any* files in that directory at all, with: ls -la /home/username ? Do you see any files with: cd ; ls -la ?
> (I'm running Linux on Windows)
Is this using Linux within WSL, or a dedicated Linux VM within Docker? If the latter, have you used this VM before, and shut it down correctly, not abruptly?


SVG not supported

Login to reply

👍?
helpful
3:27pm Tue 16th Aug, Giovanni G.

"Christopher McDonald" <ch*i*.*c*o*a*[email protected]*a*e*u*a*> wrote:
> ANONYMOUS wrote: > > > Whenever I use the "ls /home/[user]" command, it does not list any files. > > Are you confident that that is your home directory? > Is that confirmed by the command echo ~ or echo $HOME ? > > Are there *any* files in that directory at all, with: ls -la /home/username ? > > Do you see any files with: cd ; ls -la ? > > > (I'm running Linux on Windows) > > Is this using Linux within WSL, > or a dedicated Linux VM within Docker? > If the latter, have you used this VM before, and shut it down correctly, not abruptly?
So I used both echo commands and it's definitely my home directory. Using the commands you suggested, I was able to see that there are some files in there, however these are only the "." files and files like Desktop, backup, bin, lib and src are missing. Also I am using Linux within WSL.


SVG not supported

Login to reply

👍?
helpful
4:21pm Tue 16th Aug, Christopher M.

"Giovanni Giampaolo" <23*9*4*[email protected]*u*e*t*u*a*e*u*a*> wrote:
> Using the commands you suggested, I was able to see that there are some files in there, however these are only the "." files and files like Desktop, backup, bin, lib and src are missing.
Were you *expecting* to have Desktop, backup, bin, lib and src in that directory? Had you created them before, or had you just seen that they were directory names that I have on my laptop in lectures?

The University of Western Australia

Computer Science and Software Engineering

CRICOS Code: 00126G
Written by [email protected]
Powered by history
Feedback always welcome - it makes our software better!
Last modified  1:17AM Sep 14 2022
Privacy policy