Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences 
Not logged in (login)

help4407


This forum is provided to promote discussion amongst students enrolled in Open Source Tools and Scripting (CITS4407).
 
Options:
RSS cloud
Jump to:

The direction for Q3

6 of 390 articles shown, currently no other people reading this forum.
photo
From: Jichunyang L.
Date: Sun 24th May 2020, 4:14pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply

 

Hi everyone,
  I have identified a train station that I need to get on. But I don't know which 
direction I should take. For example, if I get on a train at Cottesloe, I could take 
a train to Mosman Park (this is the correct direction) or Grant Street(this is the 
incorrect direction). Therefore, does anyone know which .txt document includes 
information about the order of stations? Thanks.

The direction for Q3

photo
From: Lee dB.
Date: Mon 25th May 2020, 8:54am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply

 

Stop_times.txt contains a stop_sequence number by trip_id that can be used to determine the 
order of stops for a given route. This is what I used to determine the direction. 

As far as I know, the direction_id flag in trips.txt is really for display purposes only and 
can’t realiably be used for trip planning purposes. 

The direction for Q3

photo
From: Jichunyang L.  O.P.
Date: Mon 25th May 2020, 8:56am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply

 

"Lee de Byl" <10*0*8*[email protected]*u*e*t*u*a*e*u*a*> wrote:

> Stop_times.txt contains a stop_sequence number by trip_id that can be used to determine the 
> order of stops for a given route. This is what I used to determine the direction. 
> 
> As far as I know, the direction_id flag in trips.txt is really for display purposes only and 
> can’t realiably be used for trip planning purposes. 
Thanks!

The direction for Q3

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Mon 25th May 2020, 1:43pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply

 

"Lee de Byl" <10*0*8*[email protected]*u*e*t*u*a*e*u*a*> wrote:

> Stop_times.txt contains a stop_sequence number by trip_id that can be used to determine the 
> order of stops for a given route. This is what I used to determine the direction. 

Yes;  and if have two possible directions, you follow the sequence information for each direction, seeing 
if any other them arrive, or pass through, Fremantle

(something I've strangly done in Boston a few times, where the network maps are often so vandalised, you 
have to catch a tram to find a non-vandalised one).

The direction for Q3

photo
From: Jichunyang L.  O.P.
Date: Mon 25th May 2020, 3:47pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply

 

"Christopher McDonald" <ch*i*.*c*o*a*[email protected]*a*e*u*a*> wrote:

> "Lee de Byl" <10*0*8*[email protected]*u*e*t*u*a*e*u*a*> wrote:
> 
> > Stop_times.txt contains a stop_sequence number by trip_id that can be used to determine the 
> > order of stops for a given route. This is what I used to determine the direction. 
> 
> Yes;  and if have two possible directions, you follow the sequence information for each direction, seeing 
> if any other them arrive, or pass through, Fremantle
> 
> (something I've strangly done in Boston a few times, where the network maps are often so vandalised, you 
> have to catch a tram to find a non-vandalised one).
Hi, Chirs,
For task 3, the schedule (workday, Saturday, and Sunday) and stopping patterns of each line should be 
considered, right? Thanks.

The direction for Q3

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Tue 26th May 2020, 7:23am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply

 

"Jichunyang Li" <22*7*0*[email protected]*u*e*t*u*a*e*u*a*> wrote:

> For task 3, the schedule (workday, Saturday, and Sunday) and stopping patterns of each line should be 
> considered, right? Thanks.

The simplest approach is to first determine 'today', using the date command,
and to then only consider trips running on that day.

While that work needs to run first (very early) in your script, you may wish to first assume that every day
is, say, Monday, and then work with those trips.
This Page


Program written by: [email protected]
Feedback welcome
Last modified:  2:34pm Sep 18 2020