Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences 
Not logged in (login)

help4407


This forum is provided to promote discussion amongst students enrolled in Open Source Tools and Scripting (CITS4407).

A reminder that there will be no Zoom laboratory session on Friday 29th.
 
Assignment 2 and Clarifications.
 
Options:
RSS cloud
Jump to:

Assignment 1. Task 4.

13 of 339 articles shown, currently no other people reading this forum.
photo
From: David M.
Date: Tue 7th Apr, 10:25am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
Tasks1 to 3 each specify a name for the required script.
I.e. Task 1 is "between", Task 2 is "mylotto", Task 3 is "bookindex".

Is there a specific name for the script in for Task 4?

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Tue 7th Apr, 11:12am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"David May"                               wrote:

> Tasks1 to 3 each specify a name for the required script.
> I.e. Task 1 is "between", Task 2 is "mylotto", Task 3 is "bookindex".
> 
> Is there a specific name for the script in for Task 4?


It really doesn't matter.
Assignments will be marked manually, by humans, and we're able to work out the task you're 
attempting by reading the contents of your script  (which we do anyway, to ensure that 
they're not going to delete all the marker's other files).

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Justin B.
Date: Wed 8th Apr, 9:14pm
Summary: cyclop
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
For task 4 of the assignment, can we assume that the marker will have the file 
"titanicdata.csv" in their working directory?

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: David M.  O.P.
Date: Wed 8th Apr, 10:13pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
Good question.  For my solution I assumed the file name of the data file is
on the command-line. I.e. My script is named "families", my data was saved to
a file "kaggle-titanic.csv" and so I run the command-line:

$ families kaggle-titanic.csv

But those were just assumptions I made.

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Thu 9th Apr, 3:52am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"Justin Bardwell"                               wrote:

> For task 4 of the assignment, can we assume that the marker will have the file 
> "titanicdata.csv" in their working directory?

Yes, let's REQUIRE that that is the filename to be used  (as that's what we download),
and your script may assume that it's in your current working directory.

Thanks for raising it.

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: David M.  O.P.
Date: Thu 9th Apr, 2:54pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
When I download files I am prompted for a file name. I chose "kaggle-titanic.csv" for the 
file.  I have several other versions of the file from other sources all with with different
names. So it makes sense for me to specify a file name.

Also I have already sumitted my solutions for Assignment 1 before you added this "requirement".

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Thu 9th Apr, 2:56pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"David May"                               wrote:

> When I download files I am prompted for a file name. I chose "kaggle-titanic.csv" for the 
> file.  I have several other versions of the file from other sources all with with different
> names. So it makes sense for me to specify a file name.
> 
> Also I have already sumitted my solutions for Assignment 1 before you added this "requirement".


OK.
Assessment is not an adversarial process.

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: David M.  O.P.
Date: Thu 9th Apr, 3:16pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
Sorry Chris, I did not mean to appear adverarial. But I have already submitted my solution and I did
not want to revise it!

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Thu 9th Apr, 3:21pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"David May"                               wrote:

> Sorry Chris, I did not mean to appear adverarial. But I have already submitted my solution and I did
> not want to revise it!

No, that's OK.

I was stating that *I'm* not adversarial - there's a lot of leeway in the marking process, and even bit of 
generosity if it's clearly deserved.

Unfortunately, I receive questions (in all my units) that suggest to me that many students have previously been 
on the receiving end of marking that has been too pedantic.

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Rohit A.
Date: Thu 16th Apr, 5:52pm
Summary: santa
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
Hi Chris, 

For task 4, would you like us to display the final count of 'the total number of 
families that survived' as well. (along with just the names )  

Or maybe save the complete list of names (of families that survived) in a file named 
output/answer. 

As I believe this will help the marker in checking the answers quickly or comparing 
the expected list with student's generated list. 

P.S: Asking this just to assist the markers so that they may be able to reduce some 
time consumed in checking tasks. :) 

Thanks

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Thu 16th Apr, 6:31pm
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"Rohit Atri"                               wrote:

> Hi Chris, 
> 
> For task 4, would you like us to display the final count of 'the total number of 
> families that survived' as well. (along with just the names )  


No embellishments, thanks.
It actually slows down the marking process if some solutions appear on the screen while others 
'disappear' into a file.

Just as things say on the assignment sheet (and the Clarifications).

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Akhil E.
Date: Fri 17th Apr, 2:14am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"Christopher McDonald" <chris.                     wrote:

> "Justin Bardwell"                               wrote:
> 
> > For task 4 of the assignment, can we assume that the marker will have the file 
> > "titanicdata.csv" in their working directory?
> 
> Yes, let's REQUIRE that that is the filename to be used  (as that's what we download),
> and your script may assume that it's in your current working directory.
> 
> Thanks for raising it.

Hey Chris,

The file we download is a .zip file, so is it required to have unzipping commands in the 
shell script or can I just assume that the .csv file will be present in the current working 
directory?

Assignment 1. Task 4.

photo
From: Christopher M.
Date: Fri 17th Apr, 4:14am
Actions: 
        Login-to-reply
"Akhil Eaga"                               wrote:

> Hey Chris,
> 
> The file we download is a .zip file, so is it required to have unzipping commands in the 
> shell script or can I just assume that the .csv file will be present in the current working 
> directory?


Hi Akhil,

Just assume that the correct, expanded file will be in your working directory.

No need to fetch the file or unzip it in your script,
and no need to upload any data files as part of your submission.
This Page


Program written by: [email protected]
Feedback welcome
Last modified:  8:27am May 24 2020